I am still planning on titling my book Imaginary Penguins, fear not, the penguins still remain. Imaginary disconnect is this invented concept which embodies the idea of having images and copy which relate and connect in subtle ways without a fully developed or defined explanation as to their connection. At this point I am applying this concept by planning to never state or identify who is present in the photographs or their relation to me or my life. In creating a vague connection I think my book will gain a level of interest. As people interpret and relate to the copy and photographs individually they will bring something all their own to the experience of exploring my book.
Visual
I am currently in the process of weeding out images which seem redundant or do not quite feel right.
Copy
Some of the earlier ideas that I was seriously considering up until about a week ago involved labelling the individuals in the photographs and relating those individuals or the scenario in which they are found back to myself, my experience and my life. This idea however was leading down a road that was begging to make me nervous. I do not want to create a scrapbook, therefore I feel the need to abandon that element at this time.
The written manuscript is coming along. I feel as though it will be on the verge of completion for a while longer; The inspiration to write it seems to come in unpredictable waves. I think the writing will come to a close as the book is finalized, completing it too soon might make it sound rushed. I do not feel as thought this is a project where I can complete the manuscript and then go on to design the visualization, the two need to develop together.
And that is currently where I am standing.
"With every crash of every wave I hear something now. I never listened before. I'm on the edge of a cliff listening almost finished. If you were a house and this is where you would want to be built on a rock facing the sea listening. Listening."
-Life as a House
Monday, February 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment